Saturday, January 21, 2012

Sunburn Remedies



I went on a mini vacation to the gold coast and got very sunburnt by the pool, I've never really been sunburnt so I had to look for what works.

  1. Sunburn cream: I tried this first, and it was nice and cold upon application but as my skin was so hot it started to heat up to which made my skin sting. I also had to use an entire bottle and it wasn't too soothing.
  2. Spray for sunburn: The spray was a burns and antiseptic spray and it felt nice and icy cold from application but could only be applied every couple of hours, and after a while felt sticky and my skin felt stretched and sore.
  3. Aloe vera: I got some aloe vera plant from my mum's garden and its so good, cold and soothing. This plant is also good for cuts, blisters and is usually in lotion, this plant is so handy to have in the garden. To apply the aloe vera you just snap it in half or peal the skin off.
  4. Tomato: An old family friend who is literally like a grandmother to me, told me while we were having coffee that tomato rubbed on the burns will take the sting out of the skin. I went home and cut a tomato and applied it on my skin, seeds.
The best remedy in my opinion was the tomato and aloe vera applied one after the other. I then did some research on these remedies. Tomatoes contain an antioxidant called lycopene which research is beginning to show can protect the skin from UV damage and sunburn. I researched a bit of aloe vera and it was said to be used by the Ancient Romans and Greeks for wounds. I definitely know that these two worked on my sunburn better than any of the products from the chemist as I could apply them also as much as I preferred.

Oh and the best part is, that aloe vera and tomato are so cheap to use instead of buying products!

xox V



My opinion is to use the aloe vera plant from the garden and tomato for sunburn it worked so much better than the lotion and burns spray.


No comments:

Post a Comment