Sunday, April 1, 2012

DIY Nail Polish Rack for UNDER $10!

I am super excited to share this with you all. It is the first Sunday of my spring break and already I have accomplished one of my "goals" for this week! So let's get started so you all can have a chance at it too! First...the materials you will need.





- 2 foam boards (bought 3 as pictured here but didn't use one), 1.95 each
- hot glue gun, 3.99
- hot glue gun glue sticks, 3.99 for a pack of 18 (I only ended up using 6)
- Stanley knife
- pencil
- ruler
- a few nail polishes to use as measuring tools

Let's get started!

First you want to determine how big of a shelf you want to make, I decided to cut one board in half and use that as the back board of the shelf. A whole board just seemed to big and I'd rather have two small shelves than one really obtrusive one, but it's all up to you. My measurements are going to be for a 20 by 15 inch board.

Just to get an idea for the size, mark halfway across the width of the board and line up your nail polishes to see if they fit nicely into that space.





I was really pleased, halfway across the board looked nice and proportional and it perfectly fit 13 nail polishes.

Now it's time to start measuring. I took pictures of all the lines I drew but they didn't come up on camera too well so I'm not going to put all of them up.

Just one tip to start, always have the ruler pressed against a flat pre-cut edge of the board to ensure your lines are straight. As pictured bellow. I used my own line here, but for even more accurate measuring use the edge of the board.









Draw a straight line up the middle of the first board, as pictured above. Since we know the board is 20 in vertically, I decided to have shelves spaced 4 inches apart, making it nice and even. Take a quick measurement of your tallest polish to make sure it will fit, most if not all will fit in these shelves.





Now we've got our spacing, go ahead and draw the 4 lines for where your shelves will be placed, plus on on the bottom and one on the top.

I used the first board to also measure out the long sides of my shelf. I decided to have the shelves and the sides 3 inches in width. Go ahead and measure out 2 20 by 3 inch strips on that first board.

On the second board, measure out 6 15 by 3 inch strips for the actual shelves the polish will be sitting on.

Time to cut them all out. Be careful when using the knife, it is extremely sharp and has to be to get a nice cut edge, or else the foam will be jagged. Make sure you are using a fresh blade.

Use a ruler to help guide the blade, like so, hold the ruler real tight, and always you have something under where you are cutting that you don't mind getting cut up.





Now you have all your pieces. Should look something like this:





Time to get out the glue gun and start gluing away! You have to work fast because glue gun glue dries super fast. Start with the edges, they will help guide your shelves later on to make sure they are straight.





Next the shelves, from bottom to top or top to bottom. I lined the sides with glue and then went back when they were all in and reinforced the bottom, top and sides of all the shelves. Nail polish gets heavy so it's better to use more glue than less. Use your fingers to get rid of all the whispy glue threads. You final product will look something like this:





I hope you guys enjoyed this and that it has inspired you to go out and make something of your own! Making things yourself is often a lot cheaper and much more fun and rewarding! This is such an easy project, it took me no more than a couple hours max. It's spring cleaning time of the year and nothing can be better than cleaning out some clutter and displaying it nicely!!

xoxo
~M

BEFORE:



AFTER:






Inspired by Dulce Candy.

No comments:

Post a Comment